noritake unique wedding favors unique wedding favors
Learn the 4 C's of diamonds at Abazias.

wediquette: metal mixer

Every week Xochitl (pronounced so-cheel), our resident wediquette expert and owner of Always a Bridesmaid Wedding Consulting, answers an etiquette question submitted* by one of our readers. So, (without further ado):

Q: My engagement ring is platinum, but I LOVE all the gold jewelry that's in style right now and think it would compliment my dress better than silver jewelry would. Can you mix and match gold and silver and still look put together?--Pamela

A: I BELIEVE in my heart that you CAN successfully mix gold and platinum (my band is also platinum, so occasionally I do it). The key to doing it well is not letting your other jewelry compete with the hand where your bauble sits (and where your wedding band will be). When you're making your grand entrances and exits, the overall picture will be what people notice- so think earrings and/or necklace if you want to bring in some big, grand gold. However, as the day wears on and your guests want to check out the new wedding band paired with your lovely engagement ring, that should be on a hand and ARM alone without any gold pieces competing with it. I'm on the fence about whether a bracelet on your right hand would be distracting- I think it depends on the piece. To play it safe have fun with the gold as long as it's not within 6 inches of your platinum!--Xochitl of Always a Bridesmaid

*If you've got a question for our expert, submit it by clicking "submit your question" in the right hand column, under "wediquette".

2 comments:

Pam on 12:59 PM

I'm thrilled that my wediquette question was chosen! I am definitely going to explore my gold options now while leaving my hands and arms bare. What a great compromise!

TT on 3:56 AM

Pam et al,

why wear your ering and wring on the same finger/hand? It's sooo old and not modern at all... Luxury jewelers (of which my mom is one) will say that the modern look is one on each hand... It looks soo much better.. Sure it's a money maker for them to have you buy a set so you go back to the same store.. but that's a trend i'm glad is going...

Mackenzie's Sketchbook